The NAEYC and the Code of Ethics of the DEC were two resources that provide the early childhood educators and professionals that works with them, appropriate practices and a code on how we suppose to be and work as professionals with the children and with the community.Reading both, was a great experience because is always goo to refresh this dispositions, it make me deepen as a professional and to analyze which of them were meaningful to me.
All the ones that I choose have a significant impact to my role as an early childhood educator. This six make me do a compromise within myself to be an intentional teacher with my environment not only talking in the physical aspect but in the emotional too, with the holistic development of every child, with the children with special needs, with the families, with the center and my co-workers and finally with the community that I'm working with. Every single day I'm realizing that the role of the teacher is getting bigger and with it, is the responsibility and commitment that increase with it.
Code of Ethic:
1. We shall demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, and honesty in all our professional activities in order to inspire the trust and confidence of the children and families and all those with whom we work.
As an educator of the early childhood we need to have some characteristics that defines our work as a professional. Talking with honesty and with the truth we can gain the confidence of the family and the children. This impact me, because we need to build a strong relationship with the children and with the family and the only way is demonstrating with our actions that we care as much as they do.
2. We shall support professionals new to the field by mentoring them in the practice of evidence and ethically based services.
As I'm a new teacher, I've been mentored by many people and this guidance provide me confidence in my work and have give me options and new perspectives in different manners. As they help me, I consider the need to help others, because this work in a child care or a preschool center the personnel needs to work and collaborate as a team.
3. We shall respect, value, promote and encourage the active participation of all families by engaging families in meaningful ways in the assessment and intervention process.
The complete engagement that the family can make to their children in their development and with the program can help and contribute with the results of the interventions, practices and assessment of the child. Families need to gain the sense of belonging in the process of assessment of their child.As an educator we must promote and encourage their active participation.
NAEYC:
P-1.2: We shall care for and educate children in positive emotional and social environments that are cognitively stimulating and that support each child's culture, language, ethnicity and family structure.
As an educator we must provide an environment that has all the stimulation that contribute in their holistic development respecting every single family and their backgrounds.
P-2.1: We shall not deny family members access to their child's classroom or program setting unless is denied by court order or other legal restriction.
The parents are the first educators of their children, as a professional I recognize that my classroom needs to be an extension of what they have started in their home. Having this belief I'm very concerned that parents need to take an active roll in the classroom and school activities in order to have sense of belonging.
P-4.1: We shall communicate openly and truthfully about the nature and extent of services that we provide.
It's very important that the parents knows all the services that they can use in the community. As I have this concern, not all educators provide the information because they don't believe is part of their responsibilities. In my opinion and this is why I choose it, our work continues outside the classroom! Helping the families and providing them valuable information that can be helpful in the development of their children is part of what I expect from myself as a professional in this field.
Reference:
NAEYC. (2005, April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.dec-sped.org/
I agree with you about gaining the confidence of families. We must build a strong relationship with children and their families to ensure the the healthy development and learning of all children. How do you plan to achieve this?
ReplyDeleteI also find it important to get families involved in the classroom. I find that the more the families are in and out of my classroom the less questions and concerns they have about what is happening behind closed doors. My parents normally love to come in and to help out with various activities. I strive to give my parents at least 2 opportunities a week that one or two could come in the classroom and help out with an activity for that day.
ReplyDeleteI would like to thank you for taking your time to post the various amounts of information that you have found about the Early Childhood field. It has personally encouraged me to know that there are others who share my same passion for young children. It is evident in all of your post that you have a desire to teach your students with respect. I wish you the best of luck as you continue to learn more about the Early Childhood field. I also look forward to reading more of your post as you continue to deepen your knowledge throughout the next several months.
ReplyDelete