Thursday, March 8, 2012

My favorite children's book


I love this book, because the author, Eric Carle, in one simple story involves math, the life circle of the butterfly, new vocabulary, the sequence of the days of the week, and healthy and no healthy food. I love the illustrations and as a teacher, I can do a lot of activities in the classroom with the kids.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" is a childhood favorite. Every year that I read this story to my Kindergarten class they love it. They end up asking me to read it over and over again. I am able to use this one book to teach my students several of our standards. We use the book to talk about the life cycle of a caterpillar and how it changes into a beautiful butterfly. One activity that I do in my room, is we make the Caterpillar and we turn him into a butterfly. I will take a white piece of construction paper and fold it into half, this is a great lesson to teach the students what is half and how do we make a whole into a half. We then talk about the primary colors. We will take the primary colors and make big paint circles in the folder of the paper. During this time I talk to them about the shape of a circle and how can we make circles. Then we take the piece of paper and fold it into half. The students will put some pressure on the crease of the paper, where they had put the paint circles. After a few seconds we open the paper back up, and the caterpillar mixes its primary colors and creates new colors that has turned into a butterfly. They love it. There are so many activities that I use for just this story book. Eric Carle is a great author and illustrator. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave me an excellent idea to do with my kids! Thank you

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite books. I just love to see how my kindergartners enjoy it so much. I use this book several times a year for different purposes and they are so familiar with, that they even read it with me. Eric Carle is one of the best authors of children literature, the use of so many bright colors really catches their attention.

    ReplyDelete