Saturday, March 17, 2012

Personal Childhood Web



Through this week I've been thinking who were and still are the people who nurture and cared about me as a child. You will meet them through this little space:

Maria "My Mom", How can I start describing her? When I was born she quit her job to raise me and nurse me. She nurse me for 2 1/2 years. When I started at the Head Start she went back to work again. I have a special connection with her, she knows me more than anyone else. This connection we continue to cultivated through this date! She is my mom, my friend, my counselor, and my strength. She is my role model: a smart, strong woman, independent, caring, humble, loving, with goals and very wise in every aspect and decision she makes. Just thinking in the decision she took when I was born, that she left and quit everything just to take care of me, makes me feel special, because she took care of me in the most critical period for building a character of a person. I always felt protected and I always had everything I needed: love, safe home, food and toys.
Manuel "Papi Chulo", He is "my sports man". He is the one that named me, Sarai, that means: My princes. He is the one that Ill go when I need some spiritual advice, or when I want to laugh and have inner jokes of situations of the family. SInce I can remember, my dad was always like a brother to me. He taught me how to play basketball and I inherit his passion for sports, I even played basketball with boys. He always took out time to play, and practice with me. Now as a young woman, I decided to cultivate a more profound relationship with him. I've always know that he loves me and takes care of me, because even thou he didn't ask me personally about anything in my life he always took the time to tell me that he was always praying for me, and that His God and My God will always be there for me.
Manuel "Manolete" My brother as I call him "My life" and he calls me "the light of his eyes." We have a very strong relationship, he is more than my brother, he is like my dad to me. He is 7 years older than me. I always did everything with him. He taught me since I was 3 years old how to train and show dogs, and we both did it as a team for more than 14 years. He taught me how to dance too! He is my best friend! He was and still is very loving, caring, jealous and protective with me. We are always there for each other, no matter the circumstances, his presence is always with me. Today we still having the same relationship but as adults. We don't see each other most of the days, but we call and text each other constantly.
Eduardo "Uncle Edo" and Ada "Aunt Ada" They are the uncle and his wife of my mom. My mom was raised by her grandparents and her uncle. So as I was growing, I known him as my "uncle-granpa" and my "aunt-grandma". They were always there for me, in my birthdays, in my sickness, in the special holidays, they were the ones who I've always seen as the head of the family. They both always gave me some life lessons, not orally but with their actions. As for today we still have the same relationship, we go to our trip vacations together, they keep busting me about my graduate studies and they still being the pillars of the family.
Every single person described earlier has influence in who I am to this day and who I want to become as a professional, woman, housewife and a mother. They all have taught me lessons that I will treasure and continue to transfer to my kids and I hope that it will continue generation to generation.

Week 3

5 comments:

  1. Reading your personal childhood web is very inspiring. It is good to know that you have shared such wonderful experiences with your family. I can relate to your relationship with your dad, because some of my greatest childhood memories are those that I have shared with my father. It is always fun to have a group of people who you can rely on through good times and bad. Having an extended family is very beneficial, it is very valuable to receive different generation perspectives on matters and increased socialization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel blessed by all the things that I had as a child. Even tough I didn't have the "classical type of family" I feel that it help me to know what I want to cultivate and form when is time to build my own.Another aspect of my childhood is that most of the time I was surrounded with older people, and all my friends are older than me.So that fact in my life, made me to grow a little more faster, but my parents and my family always made me the space to enjoy in my proper stages of development.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading about your relationship with your mom. It is great that you both have a strong bond. The way you described your relationship reminded me of my relationship with my mother. I, too, believe that it requires tremendous strength for women to sacrifice their careers and life to raise their children. Your mother is a true inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's why she is my role model to follow!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post. Loved the way you refer to your mom. Just like you my mom is the most important woman in my life. She is the pillar of my family.

    ReplyDelete